ALICE: Â Oh, hi john! I was just thinking about you?
JOHN : That's nice. I was wondering if you'd like to go to a move tonight.
ALICE : Sure, I'd love too! What's playing?
JOHN : I was thinking about that new comedy Light Out. What do you think?
ALICE : Sound great!
JOHN : OK. I'll pick you up around 7:30. The movie start at 8:00
ALICE :See you then. Bye.
- Hi, Alice, It's John : Hi, ___, It's ___ is a casual and friendly way to say hello on the phone. Although "it's" means "It is" it is used to mean "I am" here.
- Oh, hi John! Notice the rising intonation here. Alice is excited to here from John and is very pleased that he called her.
- I was wondering if you'd like to... This is polite and indirect way of asking "Do you want to...? " John is nervous and does not want to appear to direct or bold. Notice how the question goes up at the end, which shows that he is not overly confident.
- Sure! I'd love to means "Yes, I would love to." Notice that Alice is very enthusiastic and friendly. She wants John to feel comfortable about asking her our on a date.
- I was thinking about.. / What do you think? Again, John does not want to appear too bold. He wants to give Alice a chance to suggest a movie.
- Sound great is an informal way of saying. "That is a good plan."
- I'll pick you up is an informal way of saying "I'll come to your house so that we can go together."