Gloria : Yes, I'm looking for a sweater - in a size medium.
Sale person : Let's see.. here's a nice white one. What do you think?
Gloria : I think I'd rather have it in blue.
Sale person : OK.. here's blue, in a medium. Would you like to try it on?
Gloria: OK... yes, I love it. It fits perfectly. How much is it?
Sale person : It's $50. It will be $53, with tax.
Gloria : Perfect! I'll take it.
- Can I help you? or "May I help you?" is what sale person normally says to great a customer.
- I'm looking for a here means. "I don't know exactly which one I want."
- Size medium. Clothing usually comes in small, medium and large sizes. Some woman's clothing comes in number sizes, usually raging from 2 to 16.
- Let's see... An expression used when a person wants to think something over, to make a choice or decision, or to took for something.
- I'd rather have it in here means "I don't like this exact one. I would prefer it in a different" color/size/material, etc.
- Would you like to...? is a polite way to ask "Do you want to...?"
- Try it on means to test the fit or appearance of a garment by putting it on. "Try on" is a separable phrasal verb, so the object "it" goes between "try" and "on."
- How much is it? means "How much does it cost?" Notice that the main sentence stress falls on "is" in the question.
- I'll take it means "I will buy it."